Serves 4-6| Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
2 yellow beets
2 purple beets
1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
4 cups spinach
1/3 cup goat cheese
3 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
3⁄4 Dijon Mustard
1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 T finely chopped fresh basil
- Wash beets and remove tops. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Place beets in a large pot filled with water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until beets are tender (about 15minutes).
- Set aside to cool. You may do this the night before for quick salad assembly.
- Toast pumpkin seeds in dry skillet on medium heat.
- Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- When seeds are light brown and begin to pop they are ready. Set aside.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small glass jar or measuring cup.
- Cut beets into 1⁄2 inch pieces.
- Mix in a large bowl with pumpkin seeds, spinach and goat cheese.
- Toss with dressing and eat!
To make this salad into a meal, you may top this salad on a bed of quinoa – the only grain that is a complete protein.