Sometimes when I see a new patient, they feel overwhelmed at all of the changes I suggest. Knowing that incremental changes can often make a huge difference, one of the things we sometimes start with, is just changing what they eat for breakfast. After all, it’s a 33% change in your diet. And that is a huge shift.
Very simply, by choosing protein and fat over carbs in the morning you will be setting yourself up for success in more ways than one.
The impact this has:
- smaller appetite
- quicker to feel full
- more sustained energy in the morning
- increased metabolism
About a year ago, I was shocked at my then 11 year old’s reason for deciding to have a protein shake in the morning. He said that when he had waffles/pancakes he would get tired at school and he didn’t like that – he had already observed the difference that his food choices made him feel.
Might have helped me in high school to be so observant! I would reliably fall asleep in the period right after lunch and the teacher would have my neighbor poke me!
So here is one breakfast I like to make in the morning. And there others, but give this a try:
Healthy 1 Minute Shake!
- 2 scoops preferred protein powder (I like to use Solutions4 Chocolate Nutritional Shake from whey protein – from organic pasture finished milk from the coastal plains of New Zealand!)
- 2 big handfuls of spinach (my favorite is bloomsdale organic)
- 3 tablespoons of organic hemp seed
- 12-16 ounces of organic flax milk
Add all ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
The best time to have your breakfast is within 30 minutes of waking up.
Just try this one small shift and let us know how you feel.